[Sticky] Meals and Recipes
Here we'll post recipes and meals that we are enjoying during the detox.
· 1 cup of cooked basmati rice, millet, or amaranth
· ¼ cup of soaked raisins
· 1 cup of water or homemade nut milk
· ¼-1/2 tsp cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, clove
Instructions: Put all ingredients in a small sauce pan and cook for 5 minutes. Feel free to experiment with various combinations of grains, fruits, seeds, nuts and spices.
· 2 apples
· 1 cup water
· ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions: Wash and chop apples, cut out the core. Bring water to a boil and put in apples and cinnamon. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes, serve hot or cold.
Warm Lentil Salad
· 6 handfuls of arugula leaves torn
· ¾ cup of brown lentils
· 2 tbsp. fresh basil torn
· 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
· 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
· 1 tbsp. lemon juice
· 1 tsp. honey
· ½ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
Instructions: soak the lentils in 1 ½ cup of water for 2 hours. Then place in a medium sauce pan with 2 ¼ cup of filtered water. Bring water to a boil and simmer legumes until they are tender, about 25-30 minutes. Drain any remaining water. In a mixing bowl combine lentils, arugula, basil and thyme. In another bowl mix together dressing ingredients and add to lentils, garnish with pumpkin seeds and serve.
Ayurveda Veggie Soup
· 1 tsp. ghee
· ½ tsp. cumin seeds
· 1/8 tsp. hing
· 1 ½ tsp. coriander seeds
· 2 tbsp. Urud dal
· 2 clove garlic
· 1 tsp. fresh ginger
· 1 carrot
· 1 zucchini
· 1 cup mixed cleansing veggies
· 4 cup water
· 1 tsp. salt
Instructions: warm ghee, add cumin, hing and coriander seeds, sauté until brown. Stir in urud dal, garlic and ginger, sauté 2-3 minutes. Add vegetables, pour water and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and cook for 30 minutes.
· 2 cup basmati rice
· 2 tsp. ghee
· 1 tsp mustard seeds
· 1 tsp. cumin
· 4 cups water
· 1 tsp. salt
· ¼ tsp. bl. pepper
Instructions: heat ghee and add mustard and cumin seeds, after seeds pop add water, rice and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes.
How to Make Ghee
Ingredients: 1 lb. of butter
Instructions: cube butter and cook in a pot over low heat for about 20-30 minutes. Do not stir it or scrape the foam. Let it slowly simmer. Cook until you see the transparent ghee on the top and the brown sediment on the bottom. Transfer the pot from the heat. Let it cool and settle for about 10 minutes. Strain it through a strainer or cheese cloth into a thick glass jar. Store at room temperature.
Top 10 Reasons to use Ghee
- Rich in fat soluble vitamins A.D, E & K.
- Helps the body switch to fat burning mode, assisting in weight loss.
- Loaded in butyric acid, a fatty acid that feeds the beneficial bacteria in your gut, supporting healthy flora.
- Ghee is a great carrier for the medicinal properties found in herbs and spices, that is why ghee is used in so many herbal formulas.
- The butyric acid found in ghee supports the production of killer T cells in the gut, promoting a strong immune system.
- Modern research has shown that negative emotions have a chemical form and are stored in our fat cells. Ghee can be used to pull out those toxins and cleanse the body.
- Ghee is directly absorbed by the liver and can be used as a calm, stable source of energy.
- Ghee decreases inflammation, supports the intestinal wall, and can heal the digestive system.
- Ghee is very low is casein therefore it can be tolerated by most people with dairy sensitivities.
- Ghee is high in conjugated linoleic-acid (CLA) which has been shown to improve insulin resistance and fight cancer.
Prep time: 45-50 min.
- ¼ cup of mung beans
- ¾ cup of basmati rice
- 2-3 quarter sized slices of ginger
- Salt to taste
- 1 pinch of hing
- 3 tbsp. of ghee
- ¼ tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. fennel
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 8 cups of water
Instructions: put ghee is a large pot over medium heat, add mustard seeds, cover and pop. Add the remaining herbs. Rinse and drain mung beans and rice and add to the pot, stir. Add water, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the consistency of porridge, about 45 minutes. If you want to add vegetables add during the last 10 minutes of the simmer.